Frank Chen is a Partner at Andreesen Horowitz who publishes terrific summaries of exciting area of technology.
A while back we talked on the phone about a self-driving car presentation he was thinking of putting together.
He put it together and it’s a terrific discussion of 16 Questions About Self-Driving Cars.
- Straight the Level 5 or not?
- LIDAR or not?
- Pre-computed HD maps, or build on the fly?
- What blend of computation techniques?
- How much real world vs. virtual world testing?
- Will V2X radios play an important role?
- Can we get rid of traffic lights and four way stops?
- How will automakers “localize” their cars?
- How will accident rates trend?
- When will it become illegal to drive?
- How will insurance change?
- Who will win? Silicon Valley vs. China vs. Incumbents
- Will we buy cars or transportation as a service?
- How will commute times change?
- How will cities change?
- When will this start, and then how quickly will we change to autonomous cars?
Watch the whole presentation!